Saturday, January 28, 2012

Strawberry Kohlrabi Salad

Salads have become my thing to bring to Shabbos meals and I am always looking for something different and interesting to mix together. This past Shabbos lunch it was Strawberry Kohlrabi Salad. I don't know if kohlrabi is readily available in the United States because I was introduced to it here in Israel. It looks like a light-green turnip. Often I have added it to vegetable soup but it is very refreshing eaten raw and tossed with a little lemon or olive oil. As I constructed the perfect salad in my head, the kohlrabi added the crispy crunch and complemented the fleshy strawberries perfectly.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of lettuce cut into small pieces
1 kolrabi, peeled and diced
8 large strawberries, cut into small pieces
2-3 cucumbers, peeled and diced

Toasted Topping:
1/4 cup almonds
1/5 cup walnuts
3 packets of splenda
1 teaspoon of vanilla
few drizzles of olive oil

Salad Dressing:
balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
a few drizzles of olive oil

Everything can be mixed together for the salad. Smash the almonds and walnuts a bit, toss with a little olive oil and splenda and toast in the oven for a very few minutes. Add to salad before serving along with the salad dressing. Very popular salad!


3 comments:

Sarah said...

I see the name of salad and think -- excellent. But some of these ingredients confuse me. I can't possibly imagine how you can eat olive oil, mustard, and VANILLA in one bite. It seems so odd! Yet I am intrigued. I love any tomato-less salad, and so I will try this. Though I am skiptical...

Rivkah Maisel said...

Sarah, let me know how you like it. Make sure you use Dijon mustard, smooth not grainy, and a good balsamic vinegar. The vanilla should be mixed with the olive oil and splenda and tossed with the smashed nuts prior to toasting - but you can skip the vanilla if you don't like it. Made this salad again Friday night - it is always a hit!

Sarah said...

I love vanilla, so I will try it as you suggest. But do I have to use splenda? I mean, I imagine real sugar will only make it better, not worse. Yes -- will try and will let you know. I think I even have all ingredients in my house now. So...thanks for lunch tomorrow!